Having a day of fun at the park.
Bikers taking a break in Druid Hill Park on a hot Sunday in September, 1973. From the Roland L. Freeman Collection(Smithsonian Archives).
Although it was referred to as Pool No. 2, the Negro pool was built first. Notables were on hand to celebrate the opening in 1921 including John H. Murphy-Afro-American Newspapers, Bishop John Hurst-African Methodist Episcopal Church, Baltimore Mayor William Broening(Broening Highway) and city engineer H.G. Perring(Perring Parkway).
The text in the photo below explains - in very direct language - why the Negro pool was built before the White pool in the era of segregation.
DRUID HILL PARK: This was the Negro area of Druid Hill Park during segregation. It is located behind "Safety City" and next to St. Paul's Cemetery. In spite of segregation, this area of the park represents a lifetime of joyous memories. According to some residents of that era, the swimming pool produced kids who "could swim like fish".